The Building Construction Science Program at Mississippi State University is designed to prepare students for careers in construction and construction-related fields. The studio-based program is one of just two programs of its kind in the nation, and it is accredited by the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE).
Students will graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree and will be able to manage construction projects and the business of construction. They are expected to be decision makers and managers in their work environment. The program consistently has a 99% employment rate, with the other 1% continuing with graduate studies.
Students in the program solve problems as construction professionals in a simulated office environment called a “studio.” In studio, students are challenged to integrate classroom knowledge and skills to solve problems on construction projects. Program coursework includes collaborative team projects, hands-on building projects, construction site visits and tours, and integrated cross-disciplinary work with design students in architecture and interior design. Practicing construction professionals are frequent visitors to the studios and participate in student project reviews each semester.
Students study a general foundation of mathematics, science, and business. Construction-specific courses include construction systems, building technology, structures, materials and methods of construction, estimating, scheduling, health and safety, construction and project management, financial management, and construction law.
Students learn how to use industry-standard computer software and use building information modeling (BIM) through all four years of the curriculum.
Limited and Competitive
The College of Architecture, Art and Design at Mississippi State University is a recognized leader in all of our disciplines. The faculty and students are being recognized for their achievements in all of the areas in which the college is engaged.
In its commitment to recognize outstanding students whose academic credentials confirm their potential for success, Mississippi State University offers scholarships to students with outstanding ACT scores and to National Merit and National Achievement semifinalists and finalists. For more information on MSU scholarships please contact the Office of Admissions and Scholarships.
Each year, the Mississippi State University Building Construction Science Program also recognizes student achievement through scholarships and annual awards. These monetary awards are made possible by friends and alumni of the program and are awarded on the basis of financial need, academic standing, and overall excellence.
Tuition and Fees
Mississippi State University’s affordable tuition provides an excellent return on your investment, combining competitive costs with the best academics, research, student life, and career preparation.
The Building Construction Science degree program has some additional fees for materials, field trips, and other items that enhance our students’ education. The program strives to be able to offer comparatively low lab fees thanks to support from alumni and friends.
Students also need to purchase a variety of tools and materials to help them succeed in their studio coursework.
Personal growth and professional development
Studio learning is a unique experience, and the Mississippi State University Building Construction Science Program provides a supportive environment for personal growth and professional development.
Life After Graduation
Our alumni are working across the nation and world in a wide variety of careers. A few career possibilities with a Bachelor of Science degree in building construction science:
Bachelor of Science degree in building construction science
business development manager • chief estimator • construction company owner • director of pre-construction • field engineer • general superintendent • inspector • MEP Coordinator • project engineer • project executive • project manager • project scheduler • project safety manager • punch list manager • quality control manager • site safety manag
By means of a problem-based learning andragogy that uses case studies, precedents, and the integration of multiple subject areas, the Building Construction Science Program will arm graduates with a clearly defined management skill set as they prepare for careers in construction or construction-related fields where effective decision making, problem solving, and multiple forms and levels of management are required.
Vision and Values
Leadership in innovative construction education.
- Mutual respect