The MSU Department of Building Construction Science requires all students to purchase a laptop (with related software and peripherals) by the start of the semester the students enroll in BCS 1116 Building Construction Science Studio A.
Software used in the building construction fields have minimum system requirements that must be addressed carefully. Most software used in the studio and supporting classes is upgraded yearly. It is likely that you may need to upgrade the machine (in two years) and possibly replace it in 3-4 years.
Laptop guidelines and requirements
- BCS requires students to have a laptop that meets or exceeds the “Value: Balanced price and performance” criteria for the current version of Autodesk Revit. BCS recommends students have a laptop that meets the “Performance: Large, complex models” performance criteria for the current version of Autodesk Revit
- Additional External Storage Devices: minimum 2 TB external hard drive and minimum 32 GB flash drive
- Screen Size: 15 inch (minimum)
- Network: Wireless (Dual-band, 802.11a/g/n/ac/ax)
Operating System Requirements
Building Construction Science students are required to use the current version of Windows. Students will be required to use programs that are only compatible with the Windows Operating System. Because of this, the department advises against Apple Mac OS. Apple users will be required to use Apple’s Boot Camp or other Windows Emulator (VMFusion, Parallels, etc.) but may still encounter compatibility issues.
NOTE: Vista Home Edition and Windows Home Editions will not work with the MSU network and are not supported by the College of Architecture, Art, and Design nor ITS (Information Technology Services).
Suggested Software*: Each studio level has specific software requirements. Lecture courses will also have specific requirements (not unlike textbook requirements). Required software for all courses will be documented in each course syllabus.
Microsoft Office (latest version)
- Through the Microsoft Student & Teacher Advantage Program, active students, staff, and faculty are entitled to install Microsoft Office on up to five personally owned laptop and desktop computers at no cost. For more information, visit the Mississippi State University Service Desk.
- As part of the Mississippi State University Microsoft EES agreement, current Mississippi State students can download one copy of Windows 10 Education Operating System at no cost. For more information, visit the Mississippi State University Service Desk.
Acrobat X Pro (latest version)
- Standard student license available
Trimble Sketchup Pro
- Free download available
Building Information Modeling (BIM)
Microsoft Project: (latest version) Verify w/ class requirements
- Free download available to students during studio
Verify w/ studio requirements.
*Please note that Building Construction Science considers software requirements analogous to textbook purchases.