I want to transfer to Mississippi State University. I interested in the Bachelor of Architecture degree program.
How to Apply to the Mississippi State School of Architecture
The School of Architecture’s admission process is twofold.
Apply to Mississippi State University and indicate “architecture” as your preferred major.
Once you have been admitted to Mississippi State University, you will need to complete the additional required application for the School of Architecture. You will find this application by logging in to your “myState” homepage where you will find the “Apply to the School of Architecture” section with the application.
Transfer Students who wish to pursue a Bachelor of Architecture degree will be evaluated for placement for the following summer or fall semester upon receipt of their architecture application. Semester placement is determined by previously completed college coursework.
The S|ARC Admissions Committee will review applications as they are received based on academic, artistic, and personal qualifications, and admissions notifications will go out beginning March 1.
If accepted into the Mississippi State University School of Architecture, a student’s major will be changed to “architecture.” Students not initially accepted into the School of Architecture will remain “undeclared-architecture” majors and will be given the opportunity to reapply to the school (for fall or summer acceptance) after one academic year.
What courses will transfer?
The following courses are recommended while in community college: English Comp I, English Comp II, Drawing I, Drawing II, Physics I, Physics II, fine arts elective, and a social behavioral science elective.
Coursework beyond this may not apply toward your Bachelor of Architecture degree. Because community colleges are not National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited, "architecture" courses will not substitute for any School of Architecture courses at Mississippi State University.
Visit the Mississippi State University Transfer Course Equivalents to check specific courses.
Are there any pre-requisites?
Transfer students considering summer design studio are encouraged to complete all math and physics pre-requisites prior to transferring.
Prior to entering summer design studio as a transfer in the Architecture Track:
- Complete MA 1313 College Algebra
- Complete MA 1323 Trigonometry
- Complete PH 1113 General Physics I (must have a c or better to transfer)
- Complete PH 1123 General Physics II (must have a c or better to transfer)
Once accepted into the design studio, students are required to maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA) at Mississippi State to remain in the design studio.
- At the end of the first-year, a student must have completed all required courses in order to enter the second-year.
- At the end of the fourth-year, a student must have completed all required courses in order to advance to the fifth-year.
- Any student who receives a grade of "D" or lower for two sequential design studios must repeat both of these courses and receive a grade of "C" or higher in both courses in order to advance in the program or graduate with a Bachelor of Architecture degree (B.Arch).
For more information about the Mississippi State University School of Architecture curriculum, visit the official university catalog for Architecture.
What deadlines do I need to know about?
Architecture Supplementary Application
- February 15
- To be considered for a departmental scholarship, you must fill out the university’s general scholarship application by March 1 (for the following academic year).
- Federal student financial aid applicants looking for grants, loans, and work study should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1st of the fall prior to the year they plan to enroll at MSU. MSU's Federal School Code is 002423.
- State student financial aid applicants (Mississippi residents only) should also submit the online state aid application as soon as possible after January 1st of the year they plan to start school. Many aid programs are available through this application process
How do I apply for scholarships?
In its commitment to recognize outstanding students whose academic credentials confirm their potential for success, Mississippi State University offers scholarships to students who demonstrate the potential for superior academic performance at the college level. For more information on MSU scholarships please contact the Office of Admissions and Scholarships:
Each year, the Mississippi State University School of Architecture also recognizes student achievement through scholarships and annual awards. These monetary awards are made possible by friends and alumni of the school, building and industry suppliers, the American Architectural Foundation, and the American Institute of Architects and are awarded on the basis of financial need, academic standing, and design excellence. Click on the button below to learn more and how to apply.
Tuition and Fees
Mississippi State University’s affordable tuition provides an excellent return on your investment, combining competitive costs with the best academics, research, student life, and career preparation.
The Bachelor of Architecture undergraduate degree program has some additional fees for materials, field trips, and other items that enhance an architecture student’s education. The Mississippi State University School of Architecture strives to be able to offer comparatively low lab fees thanks to support from alumni and friends.
- First-Year Studio Estimated Fees: $905
- Second-Year Studio Estimated Fees: $ 1,140
- Third-Year Studio Estimated Fees: $1,240
- Fourth-Year Studio Estimated Fees: $1,270
- Fifth-Year Studio Estimated Fees: $1,000 (check with Laura)
Students also need to purchase a variety of tools and materials to help them succeed in their studio coursework.
Please contact the School of Architecture before purchasing supplies, as there are a number of local vendors offering discounts and packages for Mississippi State architecture students.
Have More Questions?
If you have questions for us, The College of Architecture, Art and Design, please contact us.